Krewe du Kitchen: Lebanese Lemon Chicken
Use this recipe when you’re looking for a twist on your traditional chicken meal prep! Serve over rice, potatoes, or roasted vegetables for a lower carb option.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- 3 organic lemons
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 12 thighs)
- 2 large shallots or 1 large onion
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Juice one of the lemons until you have 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Put the juice in a large bowl and add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with the turmeric, sea salt, and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and toss to coat. Let the chicken marinate briefly at room temperature while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Trim the ends off the other two lemons and slice them into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Remove any visible seeds. Halve, peel, and slice the shallots.
- Heat two large cast iron skillets over medium-high heat (or use one skillet and cook the chicken in two batches). Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom with a thin layer of oil.
- Divide the chicken pieces between the two pans with the smooth side of the chicken (where the skin was) facing down, making sure to leave a little room between the pieces so they can brown. Cook for about 5 minutes, until nicely browned on the bottom, and then flip and cook for 8-10 minutes on the second side, until just cooked through, lowering the heat slightly if necessary. Use tongs or a slotted spatula to transfer the chicken pieces to a plate.
- Add the lemons, shallots, and herb sprigs to the pans. Let cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes, until the lemons are browned on the bottom. Pour 1/2 cup water into each pan and stir, scraping the browned bits from the bottom. Reduce the heat to medium, add the chicken back to the pans, and cook for 4-5 minutes so the flavors can meld. Serve the chicken, shallots, and pan juices hot over rice or cauliflower rice.
2019 04 25